Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Flower Swift Mullins

Below are excerpts from letters written by Grady Loy to Pat Spurlock in answer to comments about the various Mullins families mentioned in Melungeons: Examining An Appalachian Legend. We felt his information would be of great interest to Mullins and Melungeon researchers. With Mr. Loy's gracious permission, we reproduce his comments below. He asked that we explicitly say that some of what he discusses is conjecture or at least unproven though he does have a certain amount of confidence in the conjecture.

From Grady Loy, May 22, 2000.

Hello. I just ordered a copy of your book. My connection to the people in it is through the Swift family of Randolph County, North Carolina, and Grayson (Wythe) County Virginia. On page 124 you said, "Even more enticing are the many Swift Flower Mullinses and Flower Swift Mullinses running around in early East Tennessee. Is it coincidence the Flower family and one branch of Mullinses have French ancestry? Moreover, where did the Swift name come from? I wish I knew the answers."

I can be of a little help here I think.

To continue reading: Click Here.

No comments:

Post a Comment